Sense of Place


I feel most at home where I grew up in Connecticut. I grew up in Darien, Connecticut which is a beautiful small town on the water which has a beautiful environment with parks, ponds, trees, fields, and beaches. It is right next to two major cities, so it is a nice, quiet escape from the busy cities with tons of people and traffic. I feel like I identify most with the busy city life and the quiet small-town life because I spent a lot of time in the city since it was only a 45-minute train ride away and that's where I feel most at home. I feel most at home and connected to nature when I'm there whether it be walking around, sitting on the beach or hanging out at the parks. I grew up in a small neighborhood next to a soccer field where my neighbors and I would run around and play manhunt and all sorts of games together. The book states how children who spend time directly experiencing natural processes and materials are more likely to grow into adults who care about the biosphere. I could not agree with this more because I feel like if I grew up in the generation of kids now, I would not be as appreciative of the outdoors today. Kids in this generation don’t get to experience what it’s like as much since they are more drawn to iPhones and tablets and spend less time playing in dirt and playing outside.  

Comments