Nature Deficit Disorder


The Nature Deficit Disorder article was relatable to me because I have struggled with ADD growing up which has made it harder to focus on schoolwork and take longer to work on certain tasks. I am prescribed one of the medications for ADD, Vyvanse, however, sometimes I don’t like the way it makes me feel so instead I’ll go for a run or sit outside to be able to clear my head and focus better throughout the day. The article states how many parents notice changes in their children’s stress levels and hyperactivity when they spend time outside which I could not agree with more. Engaging in nature definitely soothes and relaxes you so that it makes you focus on completing tasks better. It also says how “being in nature was more restorative than the physically challenging activities” which is true because even if I just sit down outside when I’m stressed and take in nature and everything around me, I am able to clear my mind and get things done quicker and efficiently. The article says how children in a garden vs surrounded by buildings had better motor coordination and more ability to concentrate. It is important for all children and adults, including those with ADHD, to spend time in nature to destress and refocus their minds. It also says how “nature therapy reduces the symptoms of ADHD” which shows how children that are not exposed to nature have worse symptoms of not being able to concentrate. This is why PE in school is so critical to children’s health and lives—this gives children in school a set time to be exposed to nature and allows them to focus better in school. This is critical because it reduces impulsive behavior, agitation, irritation, and inability to concentrate in young children.

Comments