Vester Marine Station

02/22/2019

On Friday, our colloquium class had the opportunity to go canoeing at the Vester Marine Station. I felt prepared for it because I own a kayak back home in Connecticut, so I have some experience. I paired up with Josh and Carla and I was in the back steering the boat. I helped them out because Josh had never been canoeing before and he was in the front. Luckily, we did a good job and did not tip over or hit into anything (besides the oyster bay). We were able to canoe down the estuary and see some really interesting things that I have never seen. We identified some mangroves and I learned there were three different types in Florida; red, black, and white mangroves. Each of these mangroves plays an important role in Florida’s ecosystem. I did not bring my phone so unfortunately could not take any photos however I found some from the internet.

They provide nurseries for fish and shellfish. I also learned that they protect shorelines from damaging storms and hurricane winds, waves, and floods. They also help prevent erosion and maintain water quality by filtering pollutants and trapping sediments.  We got to see a huge oyster bed in the water which I’ve never seen before, so it was pretty cool. It was really shallow, and my boat got stuck in it by accident. There was something so peaceful and calm about being on the water. It was a perfect day out and I felt so good after I left and went home. It reminded me of some of the readings that we have done this semester, like the Nature Deficit Disorder where it talked about kids being outside and how it releases endorphins and helps decrease depression and anxiety. It was a good jumpstart to my day and energized me for my three hour lecture I had afterwards. The naturalists were so knowledgeable on these topics and were excited and passionate about sharing their knowledge with us.

Comments